Advent Day 2: 'Comfort and Joy' cushion

In my recent post showing you my living room Christmas decorations I featured this 'Comfort and Joy' cushion I'd made. I thought I'd give a little tutorial on how I made it!

It's really simple and it all starts with my envelope cushion cover DIY which you can find here and use to create the main part of your cushion cover.


Once you've got your pieces of fabric, take your full front piece and sketch your design lightly with pencil.


You can choose any stitch you like but I went for a split stitch where your stitch comes up in the middle of the previous stitch creating a raised texture.


The simplest way to embroider is to use a embroidery hoop, I used quite a large one and moved it as I worked to accommodate whichever part I was stitching. 



This was an easy festive touch to add to our living room. As our cushions are pretty neutral all year round I've just thrown a few extra Christmassy bits in to bring it into the season. 


You could choose whichever phrase you like when designing your cushion and use thread which fits your theme. I love the traditional reds and greens at Christmas.

If you make this feel free to tag me on Twitter or Instagram I'd love to see what you make! The links are on the side bar!

I hope the holiday spirit making you feel all jolly!
Katy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment