Vanilla and Lemon Cream Cheese Cake

I decided I would whip up a cake the on Friday as G's friend was coming over and had just turned 22! He, like G, is mostly a fa of Vanilla cake and so we started with just a simple Victoria sandwich but I wanted to make it a little more interesting and G suggested cream cheese frosting. Perfect!

So I thought I'd share the recipe, it's possibly one of my favourite flavours I've created in cake.

For the sponge:
225g/8oz Sugar,
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour,
225g/8oz Butter,
4 eggs,
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.

For the frosting:
125g/4oz Cream Cheese,
50g/2oz Butter,
300g/10oz Icing Sugar,
1 Lemon.




First up butter and line your tins and then preheat your oven to 200".


Weigh out your butter and sugar.


Cream together the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy.


Next crack 4 eggs into a jug and whisk.


Slowly add your egg into the creamed butter and sugar. Add a small amount and mix completely, continue this and you should get a smooth batter.



If you find your batter looks like it's separating add a teaspoon of flour and this should help bind it.


Next add your 1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract.


Last but not least fold in your flour bit by bit. You should end up with a nice smooth batter.


Split the mixture between your two tins and pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes.


In the mean time get started on your frosting. Firstly zest 1 lemon ready to add to your icing.

Next mix together your butter and cream cheese until combined.


Next carefully add your icing sugar and stir until smooth. Do this carefully because you might end up with an icing sugar shower everywhere like we did.


Pop into the fridge and leave until your cake is out and completely cool.

Once your cake is cool pour icing on to one layer and then pop the other one on top, add a small amount of icing and smooth out until a thin layer covers the top of your cake.




Display and then enjoy! Our cake didn't last long at all, it's almost gone now and I'm betting yours won't last long either. Send me a tweet or tag me if you make this I'd love to see how it turns out!

Katy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment